Monday, October 13, 2008

Huntn' Cookies or Better Known as Apple Sauce Raisin Cookies

If you have a reader, you have my picture and my misspelled title. Why does it do that???? I do love it when a machine does something that makes me look not so smart!

Anyway, back to where I was before I pushed the wrong button....These are the only cookies, besides Chocolate Chip, that I remember my mother baking. I don't remember anyone being too excited about them, so I think my dad must have liked them. The great white hunter likes them when he goes hunting because they don't crumble like a crisp cookie and they stay fresh longer. He carries them in his pack when he is out in the woods. I have sent them with him every year for years and years, they are as much a tradition in our house as the chili and stew that I make for him to take.

They got the name, "Huntn' Cookies" when I made them to take to a get together with the great white hunter brother in law and his family the night before our nephew's wedding. I made chocolate chip also. When my brother in law reached in the bag and came up with a applesauce raisin, he got a big smile on his face and said, "You made huntn' cookies!" When they left for home, he had the bag under is arm and was telling everyone to stay away from HIS huntn' cookies! So, the name stuck.


Here is the picture of this years batch of "huntn' cookies" and the recipe follows.

I am not sure, but I think this recipe came out of the same Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook that I posted about earlier.



Apple Sauce Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup shortening

1 cup brown sugar (packed)

1 egg

1/2 cup apple sauce

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix shortening, sugar and egg thoroughly. Add applesauce. Blend in dry ingredients and stir. Mix in raisins and nuts. Drop by spoonful on greased sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Amelia said...

Looks and sounds good...and you know I love cookies.

Was the huntin' trip a successful one? Will the deep freeze be full of game from Colorado this season?

Enjoy your week.

Belvie said...

Since DH goes huntn' in Nov....I'm going to make a batch of these for him to take along! They sound wonderful. I like chewy cookies...not crunch ones!

Quiltingranny said...

Those look yummy. My mother in law made a cookie called a Jamison Cookie that is almost like a biscuit and you made them like biscuits. I will have to find that recipe and post it for everyone. I love Oatmeal cookies at this time of year, yummy!

SueR said...

These look pretty good to me, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Granny Lyn said...

awww,,, what a wonderful story, I love stories of how things get their name,,,

and those cookies sound good! I'm going to have to get Mr. Wonderful into that kitchen again!! tee hee

Finn said...

Oh dear, this is terrible!!! Now I'm hungry! The cookies look super, super good Norma! I'll have to give them a try when my energy returns.
I love the traditions that we build over the years, such as the huntn' cookies. Great post! Hugs, Finn