Monday, October 29, 2007

My Quilt Rack





When I first started making quilting noise, I told the great white hunter that I needed a quilt rack. He does beautiful woodworking so he said ok but not until I knew exactly what I wanted. The man knows me well!

We looked in books and magazines and on the net. We found a couple in stores and craft shows. I didn't like them at all. They were too close to the ground so you had to fold a full size quilt several times to keep it up. That caused extra bulk so that even if it had three racks, there was not space enough between them to put three quilts on it. I had plans to really pump out those quilts, I needed space!!!

Another thing I didn't like was how light weight they were. They were beautiful, graceful things with thin spindle legs and I wanted something more sturdy. At that time, we had a toddler and one who would be crawling soon, here every day and I had mental pictures of the graceful quilt rack crashing down on top of them because it didn't sit well on the carpet.

He found a unfinished one at Joann's one day while I was waiting to have fabric cut. It was roughly the style I had in mind but way too small. It was marked down so we decided to buy it, take it home and modify the basic pattern to what I had in mind.

Above is the end result. I wanted tall, wide, plain and sturdy. This one easily holds three quilts and would hold more if need be. (haven't kept enough of them here to fill it much more but someday it will have.) It never crashed down on the little ones but it did become a great place to hide for hide and seek games. The cat hides her stuffed toys behind it now. It is just perfect..........thank you sweetie!

4 comments:

Rose Marie said...

That is a nice quilt rack and you are so lucky to have it custom made for you!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love it! What a good man you have.

Someday I'll have enough quilts here to actually use one, lol.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Oh that is just perfect! I would love to have one like that. My quilts live folded up inside cotton pillowcases in the drawers under the beds when they are not being used.

Katie said...

Looks just perfect. Does hubby take orders? :)