Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Sweatshirt 2008

When Julia was a year old, I made her a sweet sweatshirt jacket with gingerbread men and hearts to wear in her Christmas picture. Then every Christmas since, Nana has made her girl a Christmas sweatshirt. One year she had two! I made one for Colin when he was a toddler but our Bubba is much too rough and ready to have Santa on his shirt. I found a great camo flannel shirt for him that he really liked.

Last year I bought a pattern and shirt but when it came time to do it, didn't like it and decided maybe she was getting too big anyway. Not so, Nana, and there were tears. So Nana was up late a few nights rushing to get her girl's sweatshirt done. I was thrilled that it meant that much to her.

So this year, I am ahead, at least on this one thing. I finished it up over the weekend and it went home with her yesterday when they dropped by for a Thanksgiving visit. She was pleased. Not sure how much longer she is going to want a cute sweatshirt but as long as she does, if the hands hold out, there will be one. Great thing is we are having a nice winter storm after a few weeks of unseasonably warm temps, so it might even get cold enough for her to wear it!!

This applique is from Nancy Halvorsen's Art to Heart Pillow Talk book. She is one of my favorite designers. I added a few feet of blanket stitch to my line to California and back with this one.



8 comments:

Amelia said...

Now aren't you nicest Grandmother!

That is so cute...lots of love sewn in each of the stitches...Granddaughter will love wearing it so hope the weather is agreeable.

jovaliquilts said...

Such a cute sweatshirt! I love making things that I know the recipient will enjoy so much.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Darling sweatshirt - wonderful tradition. I made a punch needle sweathshirt with a scraggly cat on it - and the the words "I don't do mornings - except on Christmas" - for our younges daughter when she was in Jr. Hi. She will be 39 next week - and she still gets out that sweatshirt every year - so I don't think they are ever too old for holiday sweatshirts - and after a while they stop growing and don't have to have a new one every year - yippeeee - happy holidays!!!

Hunter said...

What a darling sweatshirt and such a special Nana. :)

Darilyn

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Should it be too warm there, we can surely use extra sweaters here in CANADA....burrrr.

Great work!!!!

Teresa said...

Seeing the shirt you made, it is easy to understand why she wants one each year.

antique quilter said...

really cute sweatshirt, isn't it nice when someone appreciates your work?

Granny Lyn said...

The sweatshirt is absolutely darling! and I see you got your blanket stitches in there, too!!

How nice to have a tradition like that, she will always cherish those things Nana did for her!!