Thursday, July 26, 2007

Not In Step

I am not in step with the rest of the world. Not sure why, it just happens that I notice it sometimes. I don't try to be in step but then I don't make a effort NOT to be in step either.

Good example here is Harry Potter books, movies, what have you. I haven't read one of the books or seen one of the movies. When the first two or three came out, my DD brought copies to me and said, "You just have to read these." I read all the time and have books piled all over the house so that seemed natural. I sat down to read the first book and could not get into it at all. It just did not catch my interest. I tried a couple of more times and then gave the books back to her and told her to pass them on to who ever was next on the list. When more books and movies came out, I just moved right on by. Now it seems everyone is Harry Potter crazy and I am wondering what my problem was??? With all the fuss, I still don't feel like I am missing out on much.

The same thing happened with the movie "Titanic". When it first came out, you could not get near a showing it was so crowded. I have a friend who has watched it over 25 times and still cries at all the right moments. I never watched it completely through. Personally I thought it was rather sappy. The only thing I felt like I missed was I couldn't really hold my own in a conversation about it! Now I do like love stories and movies with great music but this one didn't cut it.

When I had emergency gall bladder surgery this fall on a Sunday night, there was a delay while they waited for a dr to come from another hospital. The nurse told me that the nurses were hoping he would get there in time to do my surgery before "Desperate Housewives" came on so they could watch it. I have never seen the show or "Lost" or any of the trendy shows this season. I watch "Big World Little People", "Jon and Kate plus Eight" and I get a huge kick out of "Dog, the Bounty Hunter." Oh well, what is that saying, "Different strokes for different folks"?

Guess I will spend my time my way and let the rest of the world enjoy Harry Potter and friends.

4 comments:

Rose Johnston said...

Im with u, im not a Harry Potter fan but i looooooooove Desperate Housewives lol

QuiltingFitzy said...

I like you just the way you is.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Never seen Titanic or The Sound of Music, South Pacific or Gone with the Wind! I've seen 2 Harry Potter movies, enjoyed the first one. Never read any of the books. Don't watch soaps of any description.....Oh dear, i'm just a blogging bore!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I do read and enjoy Harry Potter, but never quite understood the hype over Star Wars, the last major phenomenon. And I don't watch Desperate Housewives, either. We're okay, though, you and me. I'm sure of it.