Monday, December 10, 2007

Slaved Over a Hot Stove (Microwave) For Hours (mmm, Minutes)

I have been making candy and baking cookies for the great white hunter to take to work for all his co-workers. One of the things that everyone loves is the peanut brittle, so I will share this with those of you who haven't discovered my secret. Don't care what you do with it, just don't tell anyone that I don't work for hours to make this. A girl has a image to maintain and mine is what a great cook I am. I believe in quick and easy, looks a lot harder and more impressive than it really is. From my last quilting projects to my cooking, "Show me the shortcut!'

This is a great gift. I have given it to neighbors, co-workers, teachers and whoever else I could find that was impressed with my efforts. Hubby had a co-worker who said her Dad owned a small candy shop where they made and sold fresh candy. She said MY peanut brittle was better than her Dad's. (blush!) I think she was homesick.



Here it is broken up and ready to package.



So put on your apron, dig out all your heavy pots and spoons and put a look of heavy concentration on your face, (just in case someone is watching, remember we are out to impress here). Set aside several hours for the candy making process, here goes.

Peanut Brittle

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup white corn syrup

Mix in a glass bowl, microwave on high for 4 minutes.

Add:

1 cup salted roasted peanuts

Microwave on high for 4 minutes.

Add:

1 Tablespoon butter or margarine

1 Teaspoon vanilla

Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Remove from microwave and add

1 teaspoon baking soda.

Stir well; pour on well greased cookie sheet. Cool, break into pieces.

I have made this well over 100 times and have only had it fail twice. Once was when I had a new microwave and I had to adjust my time and one time it burnt. I have NO idea why it burnt but somewhere I must have pushed the wrong button.

I run a sink full of hot water before I start cooking and just put the nasty, sticky blowl in it to soak until the remains soak off.

Now, get a cup of tea or whatever (wine?), and go quilt, sit and relax, take a bubble bath, or what ever your favorite my time thing is. You worked hard and have the homemade candy to prove it!

5 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Oh yeah! This is my most favoritest food! WHOOPEE

I'll try it this next weekend, thank you!

Finn said...

Hi Norma, it sounds easy enough for me...LOL. Of course, I can manage to screw up boiling water and using a tea bag...LOL
But I'm good at the eating part..I'll give it a try just as soon as I get peanuts and corn syrup..*VBS*
All those groceries yesterday and I didn't buy either. Did you use the salted peanuts or dry roasted?? Hugs, Finn

Beth said...

That sounds so good! I will add it to my "I can remember all the ingredients walking down the grocery store aisle' cookbook...:::grin:::: Want another equally easy gift candy recipe? I will send you my mock turtles recipe...

Belvie said...

Sure hope your great white hunter appreciates all the slaving you are doing over that hot stove....and rewards you with a VERY nice Christmas gift! Looks wonderful!

Patty said...

This sounds good and easy. Thak you for letting me know you had posted it. I am definitely going to make this after the caramels are all gone.