Wednesday, April 23, 2008

TEXAS SHEET CAKE

My great white hunter was telling me the other day that it was time to make some goodies for the people at work. I guess he had heard a few comments about how some thing sweet would sure taste good. So what is a gal to do for her special guy? At our house, she digs out the cook book and she bakes.

I made two Texas Sheet cakes. They really enjoy this one but if we waited until it got hot, the icing melts on the way to work in the AZ heat. Now this is a very common recipe, you will find it in a lot of church or ladies club cookbooks. It is very simple, very portable and most everyone just loves it. I have made it for showers and a wedding rehearsal dinner, pot lucks, treats for work and birthdays. One thing I can say about it, there is rarely a piece left over and you will find folks picking off the bits of icing stuck to the empty pan! I will include the recipe below the picture in case you are interested.



Texas Sheet Cake

2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups flour
4 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine
1 cup water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13" by 11" by 1" pan. Mix sugar, flour, and cocoa in a mixing bowl. In a saucepan, melt margarine in the water. When boiling, pour over dry ingredients and beat well. Add eggs and beat well. Dissolve baking soda in the buttermilk and add to the batter. Beat well, then add vanilla. Pour into pan. Bake about 30 minutes or until done. Leave cake in pan and frost while hot.

Fudgie Frosting

1/4 pound margarine
6 Tablespoons milk
1 cup marshmallows
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners sugar
1 cup chopped nuts

While cake is baking, put margarine, milk, marshmallows and cocoa in a heavy 4 qt saucepan. Stir over low heat until marshmallows melt. Add vanilla. Blend in confectioners sugar, beating until smooth. Add nuts if desired. Spread warm over a hot cake.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I'd never heard of that before. Surely, something I hope to try.

Thanks for posting.

Amelia said...

I have gained 10 pounds just reading this post. I can't make it for two reasons.

1. DH is a diabetic

2. I would eat the whote cake.

I am sure all of the workers with your hubby enjoyed this very much.

You are a sweet lady to make these!


Amelia in Oklahoma

PS We have one woman at cburch who usually makes one of these cakes for the funeral dinners or pot luck dinners. Everyone always raves over it.

Bronwyn said...

Hi Norma - Congrats! You have won my giveaway! Email me for your postal address
Regards
Bronwyn

Belvie said...

I'm gonna have to save this recipe. I can't eat it, but it's a good one to pass on to DD...and to fix when my DH needs something to take to work. Thanks for sharing!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Hi, just found you via Whippet Good. Congrats ont he win.

Your Cake looks delicious - sure makes up a large quantity!

Darlene said...

This is my all time favorite cake - yummy!!!!!! I'll stop by later to pick up mine. LOL