Saturday, May 31, 2008

MMM, Good!

Cooking is as much a creative outlet for me as quilting or crafts. I love to cook and am happy as can be when I am cooking away in my kitchen and making a LARGE mess. It helps that the great white hunter and I both really like to eat also, and we believe in eating well. So, I cook a lot from scratch and always have. It was much cheaper when we had three kids to feed and I was home to do it, and enjoyed it a lot. One thing I never made from scratch though was pasta sauce. (or pasta). I think that goes back to when we were just married and I tried to make my own sauce with disastrous results. I don't know why I thought I could just throw some tomato sauce and herbs in a pan and have it taste better than a premade sauce. At the time, I could bake beautiful pies and cookies but I was having a hard time getting a edible dinner on the table. The great white hunter had to explain to his very young bride that he could not live on pie alone..........LOL

Anyway, the cool temps we have had this year have meant a huge tomato crop. We planted Sweet 100's.............lots of Sweet 100's. I have made salsa and given them away, we have eaten them like candy but they kept on coming and I was determined not to loose one of those great things. So, talked to my DD about her sauce recipe that she got from her Italian boss, read several recipes on the Internet and read the ingredients on the Ragu Light jar (no sugar for diabetic me). The end result is below.........and I am pretty proud that after 41 years of cooking, I mastered sauce! So far I have made five batches, one we ate right away with meat balls, and I have two with meatballs and two without in the freezer. Oh, and lots of tomatoes still on the vines that hopefully will survive the heat this week.

See the steam? Can you smell that garlic?


7 comments:

Belvie said...

Can I come for dinner??? That sauce looks wonderful.

My tomatoes are all just starting to bloom. Hope I get half the harvest you have gotten. I love those "Sweet 100's". When I grew them in my whiskey barrel....many never made it in the house...I'd just pick and eat since I don't use any pesticides on them.

Amelia said...

Never heard of the "Sweet 100" tomatoes...will hae to make a note and plant some next year.

The pasta sauce looks yummy...but my husband is not much of a pasta fan. He will eat lasagna from time to time...no spaghetti or other forms of pasta with a red sauce. He is strictly a meat and potatoes type guy.

Enjoy ...

Amelia

jovaliquilts said...

Just checking the flight schedule...I'll try to make dinner!

Granny Lyn said...

Mr. Wonderful and I will be over at 6, we'll bring the Pecan Cheesecake from the recipe from Quiltville for dessert...tee hee

Katie said...

I too made tomato sauce from scratch this week and so good. I bought a new basal plant and stole leaves from it for my sauce. Have you found a BBQ sauce recipe without sugar? I keep looking.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I'd never tried making pasta sauce completely from scratch but I did once try to overhaul a batch... yuck. It tasted like sugar atop pasta.

Hope to be up and running soon, have a great week.

Julie in the Barn said...

Ooohh, if only we had smell-o-vision. I love Sweet 100 tomatoes...so productive. I sure envy your growing season. I just planted my first tomatoe yesterday, an Early Girl. Now I'm crossing my fingers for no more cold snaps and a long summer. I may have some homegrown tomatoes by August!